Monday 24 December 2018

Villa blow Christmas (again)

It's perhaps overdoing it to say Villa have ruined my Christmas before it's even begun but Villa have ruined my Christmas before it's even begun. There I was, Christmas Eve-eve, having wrapped all my presents, sent all my cards, feet up in front of the telly watching Villa beating Leeds two nil at half time. I'd started to think 2018 was gonna be my yuletide year, but, by 4pm, any notion of a merry Christmas had gone with Villa shipping three second half goals and going down to a defeat which pretty well ends any hope of automatic promotion. Thanks Villa.I can always rely on you.

The nature of Leeds' last minute winner did nothing to ease the pain, quite the reverse. Five minutes of injury time had been played when a routine floater into the box met the head of our hapless defender El Mohamaddy, who decided he'd gift wrap a Christmas present of his own by nodding it into the path of a grateful Leeds striker to bang it in the net. Pathetic. We'd already handed them the first goal, an after you Claude rolling out of the red carpet to a winger who should have been tackled before he put the ball in the net for their first, and the second an unchallenged header directly from a corner. I wonder what our defenders do in training? Count their money? Compare tattoos? Who knows, but they don't practice defending.

We go into Christmas in twelfth position in the league, our only hope of promotion being an implosion by the teams above us and the need for our forthcoming opponents to be as benevolent towards our strikers as we are to theirs. Ah well, I'll put football to bed until Boxing Day and concentrate on turkey until then (ie. the meat on my plate not the clowns in our back four).

1 comment:

  1. https://goaltwo.blogspot.com/2012/01/now-cafu.html

    ReplyDelete