Saturday 5 August 2017

My Ear Candy #17 - Allison Stewart

I've had some wicked guests since I started my Stoney Baloney show a year or so ago, people from different walks of life, each with a fascinating tale to tell. This week I hit the jackpot, arise Dame Allison Stewart of Alli-Baba Cakes, the first guest I've had bearing gifts and providing an off-air counselling service while her tracks were being played, top bins. 

I'd been warned not to expect to get a word in edge ways and in this respect was not disappointed. My Granny knew how to blether God bless her but she was a mute in comparison to Allison who is of gold medal standard, indeed it was an achievement to cram her six songs in within the allotted time. And what did we glean about Allison's life? Well, she started out in Falkirk, moved with her family to the Middle East then alighted in Aberdeenshire, currently residing  in Newtonhill although she is planning to move closer to her business in Laurencekirk. That's the boring stuff out the way, the juicy stuff came when we got into her love life, or lack thereof. Despite being a prize catch, her luck with men has been akin to mine with the National Lottery and she candidly described her low point as the three hour date with a bloke who proceeded to spend the entire time talking about concrete. I'm no Romeo but if I'd have been in his shoes I might have been tempted to move the conversation on a little from the rudiments of concrete setting, he didn't feel it prudent so to do however. That said, Allison's confession that she'd taken her two pet dogs along to this first date so she could walk them thereby 'killing two birds with one stone' suggested that her approach to first dates could be sharpened a little too.

I ain't goin into detail because you never know who's reading this blog but Allison's counselling of me while her songs were spinning was much appreciated. What a woman, said all the things I needed to hear, tough love delivered with beautiful cake, a fine combination. Once her cake empire is fully fledged a career in counselling awaits, meantime Mearns FM is in negotiation with her agent regards her becoming an on air Agony Aunt but so far these have stalled because she's insisting her dogs come too.

Allison's song selections ranged from good to awful with an overall standard of meh. Any Oasis choice is okay by me but Gabrielle and Pink are barely forgivable, the full list is below. Thanks very much for being a terrific guest Allison, for those that missed it this link here is valid till August 12th, just choose Stoney Baloney Listen Again link

Allison's Selections
Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely
Gabrielle - Sunshine
Wham - Club Tropicana
Pink - Rockstar
Oasis - Live Forever
Chumbawumba - Tubthumping



No comments:

Post a Comment