Sunday 13 August 2017

My Ear Candy #18 Naomi Mearns & Karen Falconer

The moment my two radio show guests walked/staggered through the studio door on Friday evening I knew I was in for trouble. Naomi and Karen were in from Raeburn Christie which is literally across the road from our studio, but I believe a detour was taken between their front door and ours, a boozy detour for some Dutch courage. They weren't addled by any means but a pre-show loosener appeared to have been imbibed so their demeanour was rather more relaxed than it might otherwise have been. That said, they were exemplary guests and, despite rotten musical choices, we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Friday night is desert island discs night, Naomi and Karen sharing six of their favourite tracks with my listenership, the numbers of which were boosted substantially by my guests' social media prowess, we had folk tuning in from Kentucky, Poland, Majorca, Ireland...and Brechin. I won't share the Facebook comments their appearance provoked but it's fair to say the show went down a storm, particularly when our chat moved from business speak to the stuff of life. We learned a little about their respective hobbies, though only a little since beyond cooking they just seem to watch telly or cavort around their living rooms dancing to Abba. Unfortunately for the listeners, the juicy stuff comes out when the tracks are playing and we're chatting off air, the pair of them had my hair standing on end, talk about earthy! I learnt plenty about life in the fast lane and for the second week running was given a free counselling service by female guests, although they contradicted the advice given by last week's guest so I'm now in a state of utter confusion.

Their musical choices were regrettably lame, when will I get a guest who knows proper music? We started with a middle of the road Snow Patrol track, matters improved with David Christie's 'Saddle Up', although I don't believe the two of them were entirely honest when explaining the connotations as to why this was the office anthem. The Black Eyed Peas were next then Michael Jackson restored order with 'Thriller' before I vetoed the playing of Bruno Mars in favour of a track by The Beat which Naomi endorsed given her leanings towards 80s ska. AC/DC closed the show with a bit of energy and we buggered off to The Market Bar which is where I last saw them. I didn't buy the paper on Saturday morning but I wouldn't be surprised if they featured, it looked like they were limbering up for a big night out.

Thanks so much Naomi and Karen for being terrific sports, you're welcome back anytime and perhaps during your next appearance we'll get the true story behind the office anthem 'Saddle Up'?

Naomi & Karen's Selections
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Saddle Up - David Christie
I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Hands Off She's Mine - The Beat
Long Way To The Top - AC/DC 


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment